Friday, February 18, 2011

Transitioner of the Month ; HoneyK1020

Here's a interview I had with someone that helps me and also like a sister :) Love her and Here's a few questions from her perspective.

1. What brings you joy with transitioning ?
 There is definitely a joy that comes with transitioning. I have never felt so aware of my hair’s health and my role in being active rather than passive in achieving my personal hair goals. Since starting on this journey, I have experimented with my hair more than I have ever before. When I was relaxed I always flat ironed, yet with transitioning my hair has grown faster than it ever did when I was relaxed and I’ve done all kinds of styles like Bantu knots, flat twist, and braid outs!

2. What are the longest styles that last that you love to wear ? ( braid-outs, twist-outs ? )
  •  My current favorite style is French twist outs. They give my hair a soft wavy look, and can be wore in both down and up and still look amazing. Twist outs are also easy for nighttime routine and with a little Safflower or Tea Tree Oil I am able to keep my hair moisturized and soft
3. What are your favorite products to use?
  • My favorite products to use by far would have to be oils. The versatility of oils are great, and can help your hair reach optimum health. I use my oils as a pre-poo, by mixing it with Suave conditioner, or I heat it up and use it as a hot oil treatment. When using oils for conditioning purposes I like the heavier oils such as Olive Oil and Sweet Almond Oil. My favorite oil to use on my hair is Safflower Oil. Safflower Oil is lightweight and does a superb job and making my hair feel soft, and stay moisturized and conditioned. I use Tree Oil, and Safflower Oil on a daily basis, and my hair is thriving from it! Another must have hair care product would have to be deep conditioners! I deep condition my hair once a week alternating between Queen Helene Cholesterol Crème, My homemade Oil and conditioner mix, Organics Best Hair Mayonnaise, or the Ren Pure organics Deep Penetrating Treatment. Heat Protectant is also a MUST. I recommend the Organic Root stimulator Olive Oil Serum.
4.What made you change to relax to becoming a natural?
  •  My first awareness that I was interested in going back to being natural was when I realized I was going 3-4 months without a relaxer and not “missing” it. I only relaxed my hair because I thought too much time had passed between relaxers. After cutting my hair super short in 2005 my sole goal was to gain length, however looking back now… that would’ve been the PERFECT time to go natural because my hair cut would’ve been considered my big chop. After my daughter was born I really got in touch with my more soulful spiritual side and had the urge to simplify my life, focus on the thing I loved and was passionate about . Quite simple I wanted to return to my natural tresses and learn to be proud of me naturally! I want my daughter to love her heritage and culture and know she is beautiful the way God made her. What better example can I show but to fully embrace my own beauty! Throughout this journey I have learned so much and the surprising thing is that it has not been only about hair! It is a beautiful thing that the same feelings of acceptance and setting a standard for my hair goals have crossed over in all aspects of my life. I am so in tune with myself and I feel I radiate positivity and a peacefulness I did not even know existed in me.

    5. long have you been transitioning and are you planing to do a Big chop?

  • I have been transitioning for 14 months as of Feb. 19, 2011. Wow, time is flying by! My goal is to be a long term transitioner so I do not plan to cut my hair until possibly December 2011 when my two years into my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment